One of the first snacks I experimented with when I began eating vegan was my raw vegan dessert bites recipe.
Being in school at IIN has taught me the importance of experimenting with your diet to determine what works best for you. Lately, I’ve been trying to reduce sugar and increase protein in my diet to help me fight cravings and give me more energy. I tried eating different brands of protein bars, but many of them still have a high sugar content.
Today, I took matters into my own hands and created my own protein-rich snack by modifying my original dessert recipe. I made three variations: chia, coconut, and cacao.
*Recipe created 14 bites
- 1 cup of organic raw cashews
- 1 cup of organic raw almonds
- 3 organic dates
- 2 scoops of organic protein powder (I used Designs for Health Vanilla Pea Protein)
- Organic coconut shreds (amount will vary based on how many bites you want with this topping)
- Organic chia seeds (amount will vary based on how many bites you want with this topping)
- Organic cacao nibs (amount will vary based on how many bites you want with this topping)
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- Dash of Himalayan sea salt
- Food processor
- Soak the cashews, almonds, and dates overnight in a bowl (ideally overnight)
- Drain cashews, almonds, and dates
- Combine cashews, almonds, and dates in food processor
- Add cinnamon and Himalayan sea salt
- Add a bit of water to keep “dough” moist
- Create small, round bites out of the “dough”
- Pour piles of cacao nibs/chia seeds/coconut shreds onto a clean service
- Roll the “bites” through your topping(s) of choice